Friday, April 4, 2008

Hello!

I've been a sewer, crafter, quilter for years, but bags have always intrigued me! How do you get the corners to look smooth? How do the folds made the bags do "that"? Wow those colors are awesome and I want it too!

I love the whole creation process and bags are fun becasue they go quickly and small changes in a pattern can mean a big deal in the end result (good or bad!) Little bits of leftover fabrics and scraps of trim go a long way on a bag. Nothing gets waster because you can always do a tiny pouch or wallets from the bits.

Throwing away usable fabric makes me cringe. I didn't know what to do with my canvas-type slipcover that was in sad shape. I put it in the trash can, pulled it out, put it back i nthe garage can, pulled it out... LOL There had to be 10 yards of fabric there! Some was worn and tired looking, but I made more than a dozen grocery sacks out of it! See, I couldn't bear to add it to the landfill AND I no longer need to answer, "Paper or Plastic?" when I shop (nor do my Mom and Sister!)

Recently my Mom has gotten involved in an animal rescue organization and asked me to make a few things for auctioning/sale. MIL sent me a bolt of great neutral slipcover fabric (woo hoo no expense! Gotta love that!) Several people at work have asked me to make lunch bags and I just finished a great spring-y work bag with makeup case to match. (My DS said, "Wow - that is a wonderful bag!" - he's only 4, but has great taste!) I'm having fun, but no photos yet. The camera is on the blink and we're looking for another. Hoping to post pictures here soon!