Thursday, January 29, 2009

recycled fabric?



I can't stand to throw away anything that could still be useful, which creates some "discussion" about clutter at home... I have recently cut up a few XXXL chambray shirts that I got from work. The logo was out of brand (means it was OLD!) and couldn't be worn officially anymore. I got huge amounts of fabric from each of them. I'm planning to make some gift bags or lunch bags out of them. I did use some for a lunch bag lining not too long ago. I think my MIL has my photo card with that on on it though. I'll edit later.

I did, however, toss out any strips less than 1 inch wide and any scraps less than 1.5 inches square. That's where today's photo comes in. Those are Sister's Choice blocks that finish at 5 inches! I love them and I don't know why. The colors are sometimes a little weird, but I figure they will help me develop better color-sense in the long run. I'm up to 24 blocks using them as leaders/enders! Hee hee, so far, that would be a 20" x 30" quilt. Enough for a doll, maybe :)

Some of the triangles are from sew and flip flying geese from a block of the month project. a lot of the colors are are from an ancient swatch set. I've tossed a ton of really ugly or weird prints. Some of the pieces are backwords to fit into a color scheme. I've found I needed to add a lot of background bits. Some of the finished blocks don't match much of any of the others, but I am hooked on making them. They will end up somewhere eventually!